When approaching a brand new DIY Catification undertaking, I typically prefer to stroll the aisles of the house enchancment retailer in search of supplies that can be utilized in a totally surprising method. That’s how I got here up with this concept for a brand new option to make a cat tent. You’ll simply want a couple of easy objects and a few stitching expertise, and also you’ll have a completely distinctive cat hideaway very quickly in any respect.
Cats instinctively search out small hiding areas to really feel protected and to remain heat. With this undertaking, you possibly can create easy, cheap cat tents that match your décor, making it straightforward to provide your cat a minimum of one or two to select from.
PVC pipe is nice for constructing all types of Catification initiatives, however I wanted one thing curved to create the highest of the tent. I discovered versatile conduit that’s the similar measurement because the PVC pipe, so it matches with the identical connectors. Once you might have every part gathered, the bottom of the tent may be assembled in only a few minutes.
After the bottom is created, obtain the printable PDF sample and prepare to do some stitching. Don’t fear, it’s not arduous, only a few easy seams and also you’re executed. Pin the items collectively first to verify every part is correctly aligned.
The tent cowl may be made with any cloth, permitting you to get inventive. I used fleece since you don’t have to complete the perimeters, you possibly can merely reduce the fleece with scissors and the perimeters gained’t fray. If you might have extra superior stitching expertise and wish to use a unique kind of cloth that requires completed edges, go for it! There are a number of methods you possibly can customise this undertaking to fit your cat and your private home. Have enjoyable!
Tools and supplies
- Printable sample (get the PDF at catster.com/diy-cat-tent)
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
- 4 items of ½-inch PVC pipe, every reduce to fifteen inches lengthy
- 4 3-way ½-inch PVC connectors
- 2 items of ½-inch versatile conduit,
every reduce to 44 inches lengthy
- 4 small screws
- 4 items of fleece reduce to twenty x 20 inches
- 1 yard of string
- Small cat toy
- 15 x 15 inch comfortable pillow or blanket
- Assemble body base utilizing PVC pipe and connectors.
- Attach versatile conduit to border base so items cross in center of body.
- Secure the conduit to the body base by drilling a pilot gap via PVC connector and the outer wall of conduit. Insert quick screw. Note: If PVC pipe is free in connector, do the identical to safe the pipe to the connector for additional stability when transferring your cat tent.
- Make positive conduit crosses at heart of body base, then wrap string round each items of conduit and tie knot beneath to safe.
- Tie a small cat toy to the top of 1 piece of string.
- Download the PDF sample and print on 8.5” by 11” paper. Make positive to print at full measurement (DO NOT scale to suit).
- Tape sample pages collectively, aligning dotted traces. Cut out sample.
- Fold one 20 x 20 inch piece of fleece in half. Align sample alongside fold as indicated on sample. Pin sample in place on fleece. Cut round sample.
- Repeat, slicing 4 items of fleece. Cut gap in solely ONE piece.
- Pin two panels collectively on one facet, aligning prime level and backside edge. Sew alongside one facet utilizing 3/8-inch seam allowance. Repeat with remaining two panels.
- Align prime seams and pin alongside sides, ensuring backside edges are even.
- Sew all the best way throughout utilizing 3/8” seam allowance.
- Flip cowl proper facet out and slide over body. Place pillow or blanket inside.
I hope you and your cat love these straightforward, DIY cat tents!
Step 3 (a)
Step 3 (b)
Step 8 (a)
Step 8 (b)
Step 10 (b)
Step 11 (a)
Step 11 (b)